Anna Ciepielewska-Kowalik is a professor at Institute of Political Studies the Polish Academy of Sciences, with more than fifteen years of professional experience in carrying out research on public policy, education, social policy, the third sector, social enterprises and the social economy, also in a comparative perspective. Her latest research focuses on co-production and public service innovation.
She holds her Ph.D. in political sciences (2013). She has published two books, and authored or co-authored of numerous papers in reviewed journals. She is experienced in collaboration with international partners, including EMES International Research Network, EURICSE, OECD, European Commission, and Polish governmental institutions, academies and non-profits. She is now carrying out research project on co-production in education and social assistance policies (2016-2021), financed by the National Science Centre Poland. She is a member of EMES International Research Network and sat in its Board of Directors in 2015-2019.
CV (177 KB, PDF)
- Social policy
- Public policy
- Co-production and co-creation
- Educational systems
- Public innovation
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik, A. (2020) (Un)intended consequences of the 2016 educational reform on early childhood education and care in Poland. The story of a few applications that led to significant disorder, Policy Futures in Education, vol. 18, 6: pp. 806-823.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik, A. (2020) The Map of Social Enterprises in Europe: Poland, European Commission, DG Employment, Brussels.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik, A., Vidovic, D., Kiss, J., Legnerova, K. (forthcoming 2021) The influence of historical and institutional legacies on present-day social enterprises in CEE countries. Lessons from Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic and Croatia, (in:) J. Defourny, M. Nyssens (eds.) Social Enterprise in Eastern Europe: Theory, Models and Practice. London & New York: Routledge.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik, A., Starnawska, M. in collaboration with B.Pieliński&A.Szmańska (forthcoming 2021) Social Enterprise in Poland: Institutional and Historical Context, (in:) J. Defourny, M. Nyssens (eds.) Social Enterprise in Eastern Europe: Theory, Models and Practice. London & New York: Routledge.
- Baturina, D., Mihay, M., Haska, E., Ciepielewska-Kowalik, A., Kiss, J., Bashevska, M., Agnoli, A., Korunovska Srbijanko, J., Rakin, D. and Radojicic, V. (forthcoming 2021) The role of external funding in the development of social entrepreneurship in CEE countries. (in:) J. Defourny, M. Nyssens (eds.) Social Enterprise in Eastern Europe: Theory, Models and Practice. London & New York: Routledge.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik, A. (2018) Co-production in Poland: From recognition to research. Some preliminary evidence, Problemy Polityki Społecznej, 1 (40), pp. 51-70.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik A. (2016) Co-production in early childhood education and care
(in Polish). Warsaw: Institute of Political Studies the Polish Academy of Sciences.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik A. (2016) The third sector in services for children and families.
A case of preschool education (in Polish), Zeszyty Społeczeństwa Obywatelskiego, 3, 1-2, pp. 9-28.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik A., Pieliński B. (2016) Social enterprises and their eco-systems:
A European mapping report – Updated country report: Poland, Brussels: European Commission.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik A. (2015) Co-production in early childhood education and care in Poland in the transition period. A new model for social activation, or a response to a crisis in public finance?, Polityka Społeczna (The Polish Monthly Journal Social Policy), vol. ENG/ 2015, pp. 20-27.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik A., Pieliński B. Starnawska M., Szymańska A. (2015) Looking for Social Enterprise Models in Poland: Institutional and Historical Context, ICSEM Working Papers, no. 11.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik A. (2015) Public policy on social enterprises in Poland: the impact of tradition and transition, Studia Polityczne 2(38), pp. 75-97.
- Leś, E., Ciepielewska-Kowalik, A. (2014), Poland, contribution to the chapter Defourny
, Pestoff V., Towards a European Conceptualization of the Third Sector (pp. 25-87),
(in:) E. Costa, L.D. Parker, M. Andreaus (eds.), Accountability and Social Accounting for Social and Non-Profit Organizations, vol. 17, Emerald.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik A. (2014) Preschool services in Poland. Questions about the role of non-profit organisations in building social cohesion (in Polish), Problemy Polityki Społecznej. Studia i Dyskusje (Problems of Social Policy. Studies and Discussions), 24 (1), pp. 63-80.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik A. (2014), The role of public and private (for and non-profit) sectors in diminishing differences in preschool education in Poland in 2013. Modified welfare mix or privatisation? (in Polish), Problemy Wczesnej Edukacji, 3 (26), pp. 64-76.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik A. (2014), Current transformations of European childcare models vs. the Polish model (on the example of changes in the years 2007-2012, Prace Naukowe Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego we Wrocławiu, 364, pp. 145-159.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik A. (2013), The meaning of the universal preschool services system development in Poland. New social contract towards demographic, economic and social challenges (in Polish), Prace Naukowe Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego we Wrocławiu, 292 (in Polish), pp. 163-176.
- Ciepielewska-Kowalik A. (2013), Non-profit organisations in nursery care and education in transition period in Poland. Co-production as a new model for the activation of local communities and institutionalisation of the third sector, or a response to a crisis in public finance at the local level? (in Polish), Studia Polityczne, 32, pp. 217-237.
- 2017-2021 EMPOWER SE/ Empowering the next generation of social enterprise scholars (COST Action no. 16206/ Co-Leader, Working Group 4. Education & Dissemination)
- 2016; 2019 A map of social enterprises and their eco-systems in Europe/ European Commission, DG for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion (coordinator of the Polish research and corresponding author of the reports)
- 2014-2017 International Comparative Social Enterprise Models (ICSEM) Project/ EMES Network & Belgian Science Policy Office (coordinator of the Polish research, co-author of papers)
- 2016-2021 Co-production of public services in Poland after 1989. A case of education policy and social assistance policy/ National Science Centre Poland (2015/19/D/HS5/00514)
- 2011-2013 Foundations, associations and similar voluntary organisations in early childhood education and care policy in Poland in the transition period. A new model of social investments and social activation/ National Science Centre Poland (2011/01/N/HS5/04505)
- ORCID Profile: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1567-5209
- Anna Ciepielewska-Kowalik profile on academia.edu